Accessibility statement and settings
Text size:

Somebody to Speak on My Behalf

If someone speaks on your behalf, they are commonly known as an advocate, and the service they provide is called advocacy.

An advocate will represent your best interests and, if you are vulnerable, will ensure you are safeguarded from harm. The role of an advocate is to ensure people who may not be able to represent their views clearly can be supported make their own decisions about the care and support they receive. This may be people with learning disabilities or mental ill health issues, or even older people.

Advocates remain independent from social care providers, will not try to influence the decision-maker or put forward their own views. The council does not provide an advocacy service, but some local organisations do and they can assist you in finding an advocate.

To find an advocate try searching the Community Directory for "advocacy".


Last reviewed: 15/11/2016

Last updated: 1/1/0001