Please review and correct the information below.

Someone to Speak on my Behalf


If someone speaks on your behalf, they are commonly known as an advocate.

An advocate will represent your best interests and, if you are vulnerable, will ensure you are safeguarded from harm. The role of an advocate is to ensure people who may not be able to represent their views clearly can be supported make their own decisions about the care and support they receive. This may be people with learning disabilities or mental ill health issues, or even older people.

Advocates remain independent from social care providers, will not try to influence the decision-maker or put forward their own views. The council does not provide an advocacy service, but some local organisations do and they can assist you in finding an advocate.

To find an advocate try searching the directory for "advocacy".

Last reviewed: 15/11/2016

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Someone to Speak on my Behalf

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.


Close window
Fill out my online form.